Thursday, August 1, 2013

Martha's One Pan Wonder Pasta

I’m constantly searching for interesting recipes to cook and experiment with and every now and then I come across a recipe that stops me in my tracks. This recipe blows my mind. It is just impossible. Martha Stewart’s one pan wonder-pasta has got the internet buzzing, mainly because it is prepared in just 10 minutes but mostly because it goes against everything you and I have ever been told about cooking pasta. Here’s why:

ONE:The pasta is cooked in a wide, shallow pan not a tall, big pot.

TWO: The raw pasta is covered with cold water. (Sorry, what? Cold water? Yes, you read right – no boiling, salted water here.)


THREE: All the ingredients are cooked together, the pasta, everything in one go.


I was beginning to think Martha might have lost her mind. But Martha Stewart is one of my favourite food icons, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt and put the recipe to the test and I hate to say it, but this is pretty good. While it’s presence in the world is probably insulting every Italian out there, I must admit it’s an amazingly quick, delicious meal. Dinner on the table in 10 minutes? Yes please! 
Just make sure you don't invite any Italians over when you serve it!  



One pan wonder-pasta
Recipe by Martha Stewart
Serves 4

340g linguine
340g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 cups water
Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving

Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red chilli flakes, basil, oil, 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and water in a large pan.
Bring to a boil over high heat and boil the mixture, stirring and turning the pasta frequently with tongs, until the pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide among 4 bowls and garnish with basil.

Serve with olive oil and Parmesan. 

1 comment: